Great bowls of fire - Mini-wok Noodles

Among my comfort foods, bak chor mee (肉脞面) and mini-wok noodles (小锅面, sometimes also called 小碗面) rank among the top. Actually I prefer bak chor mee over mini-wok noodles, but because I like it so much, I seldom dare to try ordering it at unfamiliar stalls, for fear of getting disappointed. But mini-wok noodles get an additional chance: good soup and substantive ingredients can still make up for lousy noodles.

Mini-wok noodles are so-called because the ingredients are placed in a wok-shaped bowl filled with soup, and a flame is lit below to heat the soup and to cook the ingredients.

I decided to drop in to try the mini-wok noodles after receiving a flyer advertising this stall at a recently renovated coffee shop near my place.

Photobucket
小锅面 (mini-wok noodles) - $4

The noodles are not cooked the usual style like at bak chor mee stalls. Instead, this is cooked Teochew noodles style, which is sweeter, and does not have the dark/black colour of the dark soy sauce or vinegar. This is hardly surprising since the stall sells Teochew noodles. I quite liked the noodles, and this has convinced me to try the Teochew noodles on my next visit. The mini-wok ingredients were decent, and the soup was rather tasty. I wouldn't rate this as one of the best I've eaten, but it is still pretty good.

麵世家 Noodle stall
Jurong Cafe coffee shop
Blk 829 Tampines St 81
#01-296 (map)
Singapore 520829

0 comments: