The new Whampoa Drive Food Centre

Whampoa has quite a few well-known food stalls in the food centres (spanning across two blocks). The food centres were recently renovated, and are now cleaner, brighter and more airy. When I visited the new Whampoa Food Centre, I was pleased to note that several of the famous stalls were still around. Some of the stalls maintained the same storefront, like the Hokkien Mee stall, and so was instantly recognisable. Of course, the queues in front of the popular stalls made them much easier to spot as well.

I didn't have any particular stall in mind, but I not in the mood to queue. I saw that there were quite a number of people ordering from the Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee/Fried Kway Teow stall. Even better, there wasn't a queue because the stallholder would deliver the food to the table. I decided to order a plate of char kway teow (炒粿条).

Whampoa Fried Kway Teow: Char Kway Teow
Char kway teow (炒粿条)

The char kway teow didn't look particularly attractive, because it was just all brown. But I thought it tasted pretty decent. It wasn't really good, but it was a good, satisfying plate of char kway teow. And I know there are many stalls that could have done much worse. The char kway teow is the sweet, local version, and is served with cockles, squid, prawns and beansprouts. The seafood used were fresh and cooked just nice, so they definitely helped make this plate of char kway teow rather enjoyable.

While looking around for dessert, I found a new stall called Sugar O/甜品. The Mango Tango looked interesting, so I decided to give it a shot.

Sugar O: Mango Tango
Mango Tango

The Mango Tango was nice, but it really could have been better if it had been served with more mango syrup. As it was, part of the ice were just plain ice shavings, and even after mixing the ice, I thought it was a little bland. The ice cream, though, was good. It was smooth and creamy and had a pleasant mango flavour. The ingredients were also substantial, so it was quite value for money, though maybe a little expensive for "hawker food". I'd definitely like the try some other creations by the friendly lady boss.

Fried Hokkien Prawn Mee/Fried Kway Teow
#01-59

Link: HungryGoWhere

Sugar O/甜品
Blk 90 Whampoa Drive
#01-18
Whampoa Drive Food Centre (map)
Singapore 320090

0 comments: